Sunday, June 17, 2007

THROUGH THE FLYSCREEN


This painting called 'Through The Flyscreen' is one of my favourites. Why? Because it exposes a point of transition in my life. I painted it just after I moved to Brisbane having separated from my husband of 18 years. We had lived together in Goondiwindi [he still lives there], a small rural town on the border of Queensland and New South Wales [Australia]. For those of you who don't know about rural life in Australia, flies and mosquitoes are constant companions and flyscreens on windows are essential. I remember many times wiping either hordes of mosquitoes or flies off my arms and trying to from my back. No wonder I got Ross River Fever and Dengue fever too!
So, with this painting the viewer can either imagine themselves looking from the outside in or the reverse...from the inside out. This can also be described as looking from the present to the past or the present to the future. If you look closely at the image there is a city behind the flyscreen. It is set against a multi horizoned landscape. There are patches of rain in the multi distances. So, in a way time is collapsed and the past, present and future are one.
Looking back at some work I have done in years past I am often amazed at the hints of themes which ultimately dominate in later work. History and time [shared], distance [both temporal and spatial], collapsing notions of linear time are all prevalent in my more recent work. I wonder what themes this work is hinting at now? Time will give me the perspctive to 'see' I am sure.
Through The Flyscreen oil on linen 80 x 100 cm

1 comment:

Bronwyn said...

I've been married for 18 years now, I've had Ross River Fever, & I'm interested in art, too. What was it like to move to the city?