Sunday, April 20, 2008

MELBOURNE


I have just returned from 3 days in Melbourne. Had a great...and exhausting time. Visited lots of galleries and walked miles. I think I've left my feet in Melbourne!


I really liked Melbourne. I have only ever visited 3 times before and for very short periods of time. People were friendly and welcoming.

The work on paper above was painted at the same time as the work in my previous post. I am continuing to be intrigued by the Spiral Dynamics theory by Don Beck [also mentioned in the previous post].

Also, the idea of the future revisiting the past...and even aspects of the past which may not have previously been considered important is fascinating.

I am formulating some thoughts about the popularity of images of animals in current art trends. I saw quite a few animal works in Melbourne, and have noticed the trend in Sydney and in Brisbane. Plus in the art magazines. Do images of animals provide a sense of security in stressful times? Do they indicate a need for unconditional love? I am interested in looking at animal totems to see if somehow artists who create these images are tapping into ancient ritualistic vibrations. I have to be harsh and suggest some of the work I've seen is just tapping into a popular trend for opportunistic reasons.

In The Ebb and Flow Gouache on paper 30 x 22 cm

Cheers,
Kathryn
www.kathrynbrimblecombe-fox.com

No comments: