Friday, March 02, 2012

THE BEGINNING

UPDATE ON MY BOOK FOR EVERYONE

My exhibition 'For Everyone' at FireWorks Gallery comes down today. It is the exhibition of the thirty original paintings inside my book For Everyone: Words and Paintings. Check out my previous post for photos of the book launch last week. I've sold a heap of books! In fact, I've had a few people return, after buying one book, to then buy another 4-5 of them! And, I have sold a few paintings too. Feeling very happy.

For Everyone: Words and Paintings is available on many online bookselling sites and at both bookstores at the Queensland Art Gallery and GOMA. Check out HERE for links to buying sites.

A SURPRISE ACCOLADE

Two days ago I received a surprise notification from BLOGGERS.COM that my BLOG was one of 'Editors' Pick of the Day'. Each day they choose three BLOGs to mention!


The Beginning Oil on linen 36 x 36 cm
THE BEGINNING

Regular readers will recognise my much loved transcultural/religious tree-of-life motif in this new painting 'The Beginning'. I wanted to create an image which evoked the essence of the beginning of everything, the BIG BANG...or whatever it was that ignited life throughout the Universe or even the Multiverse. I also wanted to create an image that 'spoke' of the beginning of life inside the womb. The instant of conception, leading to the unfolding complexity of new life.

Regular readers will indentify my interest in exploring how the intimate is connected to the vast and vice versa...how by collapsing perspective distance seems to disappear. This disappearance reveals humankind's coupling with the forces of the Universe/Multiverse.

The two trees seem to mirror each other, yet they are not the same. Whilst they seem to perhaps represent concepts of duality, they pose questions, stimulated by collapsed perspective, about the links between the seemingly opposite. An earlier painting called 'Duality' also poses these questions, with a similar placement of mirrored trees.

NO REST FOR THE WICKED!

Well, I am not really wicked! But, there's no rest for me! Book launch over and now onto....

My next solo exhibition of new work is QUIVER
At Graydon Gallery, New Farm, Brisbane
17-29 April 2012.
Open daily 10 am - 6 pm

QUIVER STATEMENT

QUIVER is an exhibition of new paintings inspired by concepts of Mother Nature. Using the age-old transcultural/religious tree-of-life symbol, I explore distance from the nano to the multiversal. In this distance where perspective, both literal and metaphoric, takes on multi layered dimensions, the quiver …tremble….vibration…of all life reminds us of the shared rhythmic pulse across time and space. 

'The Beginning' will be in QUIVER.

Cheers,
Kathryn
www.kathrynbrimblecombe-fox.com

No comments: