Sunday, March 30, 2014

FROM THE DARKNESS OF MY MAP DRAWERS

Together And Apart Gouache on paper 30 x 42 cm [Unframed] 2005
 
Today I sold Together And Apart [above]. It will have a new home in the USA!
 
Needless to say I am very happy, particularly because it was an out-of-the blue sale. And, because I had such a lovely time with the buyer and his friend...a mutual friend actually.
 
I had the opportunity to bring out works on paper that have not seen the light of day for quite some time. And, this is always a slightly unusual experience. Why? Because I see them with new eyes...I see them from the perspective of my current work. But, so often the clues to my current work are clearly visible in the older paintings. 
 
So I thought I'd upload a couple of the other works on paper we looked at today. They have been lying in my map drawers or stacked behind other paintings for a few years.
 
 
                           Alternate Universe Gouache on paper30 x 42 cm [Unframed] 2005

I had forgotten about Alternate Universe but I was very pleased to be reminded of it today, especially considering my interest in cosmology. The seeds were obviously there nearly 10 years ago. Please check out my COSMOLOGY page.


Rain Gouache on paper 30 x 42 cm [Unframed] 2011
 
And Rain...I was happy that my buyer of Together And Apart liked Rain too. When I painted it a few years ago, I remember being at peace with it, because it sort of finished itself. I was really pleased to have had the opportunity to bring it out from its dark home in my map drawers.  
 
My next post will also have images of paintings that have been in the darkness of my map drawers for awhile. So, keep posted!
 
Cheers,
Kathryn
 

1 comment:

Jens Tröger said...

I had such a wonderful time today, Kathryn! Thank you for meeting with us, and to show us around your house and paintings and the places where the magic happens :) I am very excited to frame and hang the picture, I love it :-)