Saturday, September 23, 2006

SCHOOL HOLIDAYS



This painting is called 'When I Was A Child I Dreamt I Could Fly'. Well, I did dream this when I was kid...often. In fact, without ever having been in an aeroplane above my parent's farm, I knew what the farmhouse and outbuildings looked liked from above. As adults we tend to lose this kind of wonderment...I am dreaming it back! I thought about this painting today because my three children have gone to visit their Dad for part of the school holidays...out to the country. These young people need to know they can 'fly'. But, their dreams and imaginings seem to be only possible after school, homework etc etc have been finished. I love to see them playing pretend games because I can see they really believe anything is possible after these exhiliarating interludes. Their bodies bounce, their eyes dance and they talk... and talk. Homework does not have the same effect! That's why I love school holidays...the children become children again. I exhibited this painting in Abu Dhabi and I loved to see peoples reactions to it. They would stop and read the title and then I'd see their eyes [the women behind their veils] smile. Often they would turn to me and give me a broad grin...this then lead to wonderful conversations.
When I Was A Child I Dreamt I Could Fly Oil on linen 80 x 120 cm

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this painting; you are such a talented painter Kathryn

Anonymous said...

Fantastic painting. Really chilled out and has a good feel about it

Arthur Beau Palmer said...

KBF This is an important & revealing window on your beautiful work .Many of those who are lucky enough to own a painting of yours would want to frame some of the blog beside it now !Brave stuff. Good on you . ABP x