Sunday, March 09, 2008

COLLECTIVE MEMORY

                                      Collective Memory Oil on linen 80 x 120 cm

This is a new painting. The idea of collective memory really interests me because until recently I thought memory was personal, individual and private. I am sure aspects of it are, but to think a group we can have memories is intriguing. Also, the possibility that inherited consciousness from the past may have a subconscious influence on our lives is fascinating. Indeed, it makes one ask questions about the thoughts and beliefs which we carry, but upon deep reflection do not vibrate at the right level for us. Are they part of an inherited consciusness which is not useful in this day and age? How do we rid ourselves of this consciousness particularly if it is not useful? Recognising that it exists is probably the first step.

In this painting I have placed the trans-cultural/religious tree-of-life at the centre of an emanation of thoughts which are represented by the small dots. These thoughts change colour as they move through time to become memories. Yet, everything is connected and a vibration is maintained. The tree-of-life represents everyone...past-present-future.


Collective Memory Oil on linen 80 x 120 cm

3 comments:

moneythoughts said...

Hi Kathryn,

I like your new painting "Collective Memory." It reminds me of a painting my father made in the 1950's that he called "Mature Pupil." The reason why your piece reminds me of his, is because your painting has the shape of an human eye. Do you see it? Your tree is in the center of the pupil. I love your colors, so subtle and refined. A truly beautiful painting with a lot to think about.

Good luck with the exhibit.

Fred

moneythoughts said...

Hi Kathryn,

Thanks for your comments. No, I have never been to the UAE. I don't think they want me there.:)

Fred

Anonymous said...

you are very talented!