Wednesday, May 27, 2015

TREE-OF-LIFE DREAMING

Tree of Life Mixed media on paper 15 x 21 cm 2015
 
 
Regular readers know I love the age-old transcultural/religious tree-of-life symbol. Why do I love it?
 
  • The fact that it is age-old and crosses cultures/religions means that it connects life across time and space. When I paint my versions of the tree-of-life I feel connected, not only to the past but to future life also. The power of connection is of paramount importance as we are propelled into the cosmological 21st century.
  • Its branching appearance reflects systems of all kinds, both natural and human-made. These systems lie within our bodies and repeat across the Earth and also the Universe, at micro and macro scales. When I say human-made I mean such things as traffic systems, electrical circuitry, computer chips, telegraphic connections and more.  
  • My quest to untether the tree-of-life from traditional visual depictions, in order to tease out its potential meaningfulness in the 21st century, excites me emotionally, creatively and intellectually!
  • The symbol's meta capacities, I suspect, may help us remember what it means to be human. In an age where scientists, researchers and philosophers warn about existential risks posed by artificial intelligence and associated, maybe symbolic connection will not only save us, but also allow us to forge technological pathways that are even more immensely beneficial for us and all living creatures...as well as Earth and the Universe.


    Whoa! That's huge! Hey, I'm an artist and I can dream....
And, when artists dream they invite you to enter a world of possibility. In my case, my dreams are not without nightmarish dystopian possibilities, but I use the tree-of-life as a beacon of hope and beauty.
 
 
 
Life Calling Mixed media on paper 15 x 21 cm 2015 [SOLD]
 
 
Here's a link to a 2011 post I wrote about the influence of the tree-of-life on my work.
 
And links to recent posts where I discuss some of my paintings combining the tree-of-life with another symbol of life...binary code for LIFE
 
 
And, I enjoy the contrariness of using a traditional painting technology to paint images that reflect upon high-tech aspects of 21st century life and activity.
 
Cheers,
Kathryn
 

No comments: